[texhax] XeLaTeX, fontspec, fontsize, etc.

Peter Davis pfd at pfdstudio.com
Tue Dec 7 04:19:55 CET 2010

I'm debugging a C++ program that reads an XML file and outputs a LaTeX file,
ready for typesetting.  Due to the nature of the XML, there are some
redundant commands in the .tex file, but I don't think they should cause the
weird behavior I'm seeing.  Basically, I use \fontspec{Minion Pro} and
\fontsize{14.000000}{14.000000}. (The \fontsize gets used some extra times,
but always at 14 pts.  However, in the resulting PDF from XeLaTeX (XeTeX,
Version 3.1415926-2.2-0.9997.4 (MiKTeX 2.9)), I get plain text in a small
font, and bold or italic text in what appears to be the correct size.  Can
anyone explain this?  A short snippet is below.

Thank you!

-pd

\documentclass[letterpaper]{article}
\usepackage[landscape]{geometry}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{xcolor}
\usepackage[absolute]{textpos}
\setlength{\TPHorizModule}{1bp}
\setlength{\TPVertModule}{\TPHorizModule}
\setlength{\parindent}{0pt}
\pagestyle{empty}
\setlength{\topmargin}{36.000000bp}
\setlength{\oddsidemargin}{36.000000bp}

\begin{document}

\fontspec{Minion Pro}
\raggedright
\fontsize{14.000000}{14.000000}
{\par   Dear   {  First  }  ,  \null}
\fontsize{14.000000}{14.000000}
{\par \null}
\fontsize{14.000000}{14.000000}
{\par   Are you aware that now is the   {\bfseries
  winter of our discontent  }  ? It?s been made   {\itshape
  glori  }{\itshape
  ous   }{\bfseries
\itshape
  sum  }{\bfseries
\itshape
  mer  }  by this son of York.  \null}
\fontsize{14.000000}{14.000000}
{\par \null}
\fontsize{14.000000}{14.000000}
{\par   I say let?s put it back the way it was. Are you with me,   {  Last
 }  ?  \null}
\fontsize{14.000000}{14.000000}
{\par \null}
\fontsize{14.000000}{14.000000}