[texhax] PostScript output (from XeTeX)?

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Dec 2 19:17:46 CET 2010

On 2 December 2010 Heiko Oberdiek wrote:

 > On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 11:29:12AM -0500, Peter Davis wrote:
 >
 > > I tried asking this on the XeTeX list a couple of days ago, but have gotten
 > > no responses.  Maybe someone here can help me.
 > >
 > > I gather I can get either PDF or XDV output from XeTeX.  If I want
 > > PostScript,
 >
 > Then you can go from PDF using pdftops (from xpdf), for example.
 >
 > > are there xdvps drivers, analogous to Rokicki's dvips?
 >
 > I don't think thus.
 >
 > > Assuming there is, are there particular \specials that will cause
 > > the xdvps driver to create PostScript forms and form references
 > > for some of the document elements?
 >
 > What are PostScript forms?

A PostScript form is an object containing arbitrary graphics or text.
You can create it once and use it multiple times using the execform
operator.  See section 4.7 in the PS reference.

To answer Peter's question, there are no dedicated \specials for
forms.  But you can pass arbitrary PS code to \specials anyway.

Regards,
  Reinhard

 > There are two different "form" concepts in PDF:
 > * formulars/widgets
 > * xform objects
 >
 > Yours sincerely
 >   Heiko Oberdiek