[texhax] Weirder and weirder

Michael Doob mdoob at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Mon Aug 16 23:27:02 CEST 2010

On Monday 16 August 2010 4:14 pm, Michael Barr wrote:
> In connection with the question I raised about revtex a couple days ago, I
> would ask texhaxxers to explain the following behaviour, which has nothing
> to do with revtex.  First, examine the following and try to predict the
> results.  Then run it and see the actual ones.
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \showthe\textfont0
> \setbox0=\hbox{x}
> \showthe\textfont0
> \showthe\textfont2
> \setbox0=\hbox{$x$}
> \showthe\textfont2
> \showthe\textfont0
> \begin{document}
> \end{document}

>From the log file:

  > \nullfont .
  l.2 \showthe\textfont0

  ?
  > \nullfont .
  l.4 \showthe\textfont0

  ?
  > \nullfont .
  l.5 \showthe\textfont2

  ?
  LaTeX Font Info:    External font `cmex10' loaded for size
  (Font)              <7> on input line 6.
  LaTeX Font Info:    External font `cmex10' loaded for size
  (Font)              <5> on input line 6.
  > \OMS/cmsy/m/n/10 .
  l.7 \showthe\textfont2

  ?
  > \OT1/cmr/m/n/10 .
  l.8 \showthe\textfont0

Looks OK to me.

Cheers,
Michael

Michael Doob                    Telephone: (204) 474-9796
Department of Mathematics       Fax: (204) 474-7606
University of Manitoba          email: Michael_Doob at umanitoba.ca
Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3T 2N2