[texhax] including graphics

Zbigniew Nitecki zbigniew.nitecki at tufts.edu
Mon Aug 16 16:11:04 CEST 2010

I am trying to include a photograph (saved as a .jpg file) in a letter written with \documentclass{letter}.

The following code
***************************************
\documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{letter}
\usepackage{graphics}
\signature{Signature} %
\begin{document}
\begin{letter}{Addressee\\address}

\opening{Dear Addressee:} %
\begin{enumerate}
	\item
	\includegraphics*[0,0][72,72]{DSCF0036.jpg}
\end{enumerate}
\closing{Sincerely,} %
\end{letter}
\end{document}
(where the file DSCF0036.jpg is in the same folder as the source file for the letter)
produces no error message, but produces the letter without the picture.
Increasing the box size to [0,0][720,720] only increases the size of the space left open
for the picture (to a full page).

I realize that this may be a problem with my viewer (I'm using the standard preview viewer that is associated to TeXShop) but is there a way for me to be sure the picture is actually being included?  Or am I omitting something obvious that would lead to this behavior?

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155