[texhax] SO: What to do with this hyperref note on amsmath?

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 01:28:56 CEST 2010

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 3:59 PM, Leo <sdl.web at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I put a question¹ on stackoverflow but I seems to get no answers.
>
> It is about a note (copied below) in hyperref README:
>
> ,----[ /amsmath/ ]
> | The environments equation and eqnarray are not supported too well. For
> | example, there might be spacing problems (eqnarray isn't recommended
> | anyway, see CTAN:info/l2tabu/, the situation for equation is unclear,
> | because nobody is interested in investigating). Consider using the
> | environments that package amsmath provide, e.g. gather for equation. The
> | environment equation can even redefined to use gather:
> |
> | \usepackage{amsmath}
> | \let\equation\gather
> | \let\endequation\endgather
> `----
>
> But the space between 'hello' and 'equation' is different in this example:
>
> \documentclass[twocolumn]{article}
> \begin{document}
> hello
> \begin{equation}
> a+b=c
> \end{equation}
>
> hello
> \begin{gather}
>  a+b&=c
> \end{gather}
>
> \end{document}
>
> So technically gather cannot replace equation. Thus, in a document using
> both hyperref and amsmath, what is the best replacement for equation?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Leo
>
> Footnotes:
> ¹  http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/975/what-to-do-with-this-hyperref-note-on-amsmath

I have experienced strange alignment problems but they are not
confined to equation but rather to gather

http://tug.org/mailman/htdig/texhax/2010-March/014510.html

There is a bug in amsmath, and AMS techies seem to investigate it

I do not think that equation is more problematic than gather or align

Victor