[texhax] Regarding margin for binding in thesis

Arvind bahuroopi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 19:12:35 CEST 2010

Oops - i used 'reply', rather than 'reply all'. Resending the mail to
the group now.

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 7:28 AM, Torsten Wagner
<torsten.wagner at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/21/2010 10:09 AM, Arvind wrote:
>
>>> I don't have the commands in my mind at the moment. But I know it is a
>>> common error to believe that the margins which will create the middle of
>>> the
>>> book have to be wider then the outer margins. Please check for this. A
>>> correct set-up should give you exact three margins.
>>> |------| Text |---*---| Text |------|
>>> * indicate the book-middle. As you can see the left and right size
>>> margins
>>> have the same width like both inner margins together. This results in a
>>> uniform look margin,text,margin,text,margin....
>
>> However, my impression was that with the twoside option, the geometry
>> package would give different left and right margins for odd and even
>> numbered pages. You are saying it should give the same margin for both
>> pages. But it seems to be doing neither. What i am getting is a larger
>> margin on the right, and slightly smaller margin on the left, for all
>> the pages. Why is that?
>
> This is exactly what I am saying. Please put two sheets between each other
> in the way they would appear in the book.
> Like page 2-3. As you can seen now. the outer left and right margin have the
> same space like the inner left and right margin together. This is
> intentional. Check a good typeset commercial book and you will find it is
> true. It only look strange as long as you pile up all sheets together (like
> your pdf-viewer will display them one under the other). As soon as you
> arrange them to a "2 page view" they look fine.

I do not follow your argument. For a moment, ignore what happens in
the middle, in the "2 page view". The way you showed the schematic in
your first mail, the left margin of page 2 and right margin of page 3
are of unequal length. Shouldn't they be of the same width by your own
argument, and the schematic you plotted? (For that matter, the middle
length is also not satisfactory - and yes, i did check by taking
printouts of two pages, and placing them in a "2 page view".)

arvind