[texhax] controlling pdf reader (was Re: beamer and "Read out loud")

James Quirk jjq at galcit.caltech.edu
Sun Apr 18 21:08:18 CEST 2010

Tom,

> I wonder if what you are doing can be generalized and packaged to
> automate the external control of a PDF reader?
To some degree I already am controlling AR. Specifically,
when I open an AMRITA-generated PDF I use amrpdf which pre-processes
the PDF and then launches AR on the processed PDF with a communication
pipe. This allows me to do things like unpack and run examples
on-the-fly. See for instance:

    http://www.amrita-cfd.org/doc/amr2003

and be sure to read the built-in security FAQ. It's just that
I've not had need for what you want and so the precise functionality
is missing.

Are you wanting to have a watched folder and have AR automatically
reload when a file has changed? If so, that could easily be accomplished
by polling a localhost url that invoked a script that checked on the
watched folder.

Anyhow you didn't mention what platform your using. If it's Linux,
and your local, it wouldn't be that big a deal for me to implement
what you want, provided you gave me a more explicit design brief offline.

James