[texhax] Plain Tex

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Mon Sep 28 08:17:15 CEST 2009

On  28 Sep, 2009, at 00:46, Joseph Wright wrote:

> Kelly wrote:
>> Dear Sir/Madam:
>> I have tried to learn TeX on my own through Knuth's book, and am
>> writing stuff using a MikTex implementation on Windows Vista.
>> I would like to continue using plain TeX instead of LaTeX.
>> Is it possible to use color, include photos, and hyperlinks in my
>> pdf files using plain TeX instead of LaTeX?
>> If so can you recommend a simple explanatory source to me, who
>> knows little else than what is in the Knuth book.
>> Sincerely,
>>  Kelly McKennon
>
> Hello Kelly,
>
> As LaTeX is built by programming TeX, all of this is possible. The
> issue is that all of these things are driver-dependent, and so are
> done using \special's. This just puts the appropriate driver
> instruction into the output, so you need to know what the driver
> expects. You could consider the "minimal LaTeX" approach which some
> plain users take, as this avoids needing to learn all of that type
> of thing.

You can learn about this ``'minimal LaTeX' approach'' in the Eplain
manual:

http://www.tug.org/eplain/doc/eplain.pdf

section 4.23, p. 33. If I were to use (not-so) plain TeX, I would use
Eplain and said miniltx.tex (minimal LaTeX).

As I'm sure you have all these files in the proper place with your
MiKTeX distribution, you can skip section 2 of the Eplain manual.

Best,

Axel