[texhax] Sept 2009 TUG news: TUG 2010, interview book, TeX Live, TUGboat, CTAN

tug-news at tug.org tug-news at tug.org
Sat Sep 12 02:40:38 CEST 2009

Dear TeX users,

A newsletter update after an eventful summer ...

First, the upcoming TUG 2010 conference will be held in
in San Francisco, California, USA, from June 28-30, 2010.
We are still finalizing the exact venue, but wanted to announce the
dates now that they are firm.

Since 2010 is TeX's 32nd birthday, the Grand Wizard has graciously
agreed to participate.  In addition to Dr. Knuth, many of the other
original Stanford TeX project members, including David Fuchs, John
Hobby, Michael Plass, Oren Patashnik, and Tom Rokicki, plan to be
present.

We will be scheduling several activities for the final day (June 30),
including the conference banquet, to honor the work of the Stanford TeX
project and celebrate TeX's 32nd anniversary.

The call for papers, registration form, and other details will be posted
as soon as we know them, at:
http://tug.org/tug2010/

Other TUG news:

- A book of more than fifty interviews from the TUG interview corner has
  been produced, and is available through TUG and most likely from your
  favorite online bookstore as well.  Any profits will go to TUG.
  http://tug.org/interviews/book

- TeX Live 2009 is stabilizing, and production work for the full TeX
  Collection for 2009 is beginning.  We do not have any hard release
  date yet, so I invite anyone who is interested to help us test; the
  more people who do so, the better the final release can be.
  http://tug.org/texlive/pretest.html

- TUGboat 30:1, a regular issue, shipped to TUG members recently.  The
  next issue, the TUG 2009 proceedings, is in preparation and should go
  to the printer soon.
  http://tug.org/TUGboat/

Finally, as the software release approaches, we would like to find more
sites to become official mirrors of CTAN (the current list of CTAN
mirrors is at http://www.ctan.org/mirrors).  Package updates for MiKTeX
and TeX Live account for a large proportion of CTAN's total traffic, and
the more mirrors around the world, the less the burden on any individual
host, especially the backbones.

If you think you can help in this way, please see
http://www.ctan.org/mirroring.

Happy TeXing,
Karl Berry (President) on behalf of the TUG Board
http://www.tug.org/