[texhax] Texlive and fonts

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Thu Oct 22 04:24:09 CEST 2009

On  21 Oct, 2009, at 16:35, Henrik Frisk wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 1:48 PM, Axel E. Retif <axel.retif at mac.com>
> wrote:
> On  30 Aug, 2009, at 02:49, Henrik Frisk wrote:
>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> http://tug.org/fonts/fontinstall.html
>>>
>>> OK, I followed thes instructions but I still can't seem to get it
>>> to work. As far as I can tell, everything looks good, files are in
>>> the right locations and the filename database is updated as it
>>> should. But running
>>>
>>> $ pdftex testfont
>>>
>>> causes the following error
>>>
>>> pdfTeX warning: pdftex (file padb8r): Font padb8r at 600 not found
>>>
>>> whereas
>>>
>>> $ tex testfont
>>>
>>> works fine.
>
>> As you are using TeXLive 2007, I think updmap should update (or
>> create) psfonts_t1.map in /var/lib/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/
>> and pdftex_dl14.map in /var/lib/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/,
>> with information of your added fonts. Does it?
>
> After leaving this issue alone, somehow thinking it would go away
> byitself, I tried again tonite to get these two fonts (Frutiger and
> AGaramond) to play with my TeXLive install (Fedora10). The files
> referenced by Axel above are not created. Though updmap runs without
> complaints, I can't see that a corresponding entry is created in any
> of the different pdfonts files.
>
> Any suggestions as to what I may do to get these fonts to work with
> my TeXLive2007. (I've used them successfully prior to Te2007). Is is
> an option to re-install TeX??

About the last question, I think uninstalling TL2007 and then
reinstalling it would be the way. But you might get into trouble with
dependencies ---you might be asked to uninstall first programs that
depend on TL.

Now ---by any chance would you have an invisible directory called
something like .texlive2007 in your $HOME? If so, could you check if
inside it there are some psfonts and pdftex map files?

Best,

Axel