[texhax] substituting the right keyboard symbols for quote marks

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Sun Oct 18 13:34:49 CEST 2009

Philip G. Ratcliffe wrote:
>> Hi folks
>> Is there a difference between
>> ``some text''
>> and
>> ''some text''
>> ?
>
> Did you look carefully at the output?  The first gives opening quotation
> marks on the left (as one would wish) while the second only giives closing
> marks.

as far as I can gather from the other messages Paul is legally blind, so
looking at the output is a bit difficult

BTW: Paul, have you ever heard of robobraille.org?

As for the quotation marks, the reason they are different is that in
type we often use two different marks for the quotations, one to open it
and one to close it afterwards. This even depends on language.

You might even see `" and '" being used.

With ''word'' there is no distinction between the opening and the
closing mark.

A much more readable solution is to use the csquote package, and its
\enquote (might be another name), then it is much more clearly marked
that \enquote{some text} is enclosed in quotation marks, and this macro
is even language aware, thus auto chooses the appropriate quotation
marks for that lanuage.