[texhax] Specifying baseline-to-baseline skip in TeX

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Sun Oct 11 11:38:08 CEST 2009

While Jonathan (below) addressed baseline-to-baseline skips on /title
pages/, I am encountering the same problem with /sectioning/:

The /designer/ has specified the skip from the last \chapter baseline to
the next baseline. A simple \vskip(glue) closing the chapter macros [apart
from \@afterheading] would result in a baseline-to-baseline distance of
(glue)+(b) where (b) is the \baselineskip associated with either
\normalsize or \section, I don't know ... [with ordinary text in adjacent
lines only; I am using round parentheses for meta-variables here because I
know that some HTML-mail-program likes to suppress the more natural ASCII
imitation of angle brackets].

I am thinking of A. redefining [the /next/] \section so it makes up for the
difference of the \normalsize and \section \baselineskip's and tweaking of
\everypar to get back the usual behaviour of \section when \chapter is
/not/ immediately followed by \section; B. asking the designer to specify
/white space/ instead of baseline-to-baseline skip instead [which may
matter more anyway from a visual point of view, \nointerlineskip \vkip...,
not sure about descenders].

For a general solution, font size switches [at least for \large etc.] might
be redefined to replace an earlier vertical \lastskip by \lastskip-(b)
where (b) is the \baselineskip associated with the font size [assuming font
switches occur at starting paragraphs only; storing \lastskip and
substracting \baselineskip, \nobreak\vskip-\lastskip etc.; bad if section
number font size is different to that of title].

Or one could use such variants of font size switches [\large*, ...;
\fontsize*] on title pages and in sectioning definitions.

-- Uwe.