[texhax] Localtexmf and texmmf directories in MikTex 2.8

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Sat Oct 10 11:28:39 CEST 2009

Am Fri,  9 Oct 2009 14:57:24 -0230 schrieb P. P. Narayanaswami:

> Hi:
> I recently upgraded to MikTex2.8 under Windows Vista.  I wanted to place
> some personal fiont and style files in the "localtexmf" directory (where
> we usually place them).  To my surprise, neither the "localtexmf" nor the
> "texmf" directory was availabe there.  So, in which directiory (exact
> location in WIndows Vista) in MikTeX2.8 shoould I place my personal font files
> and style, so MikTeX will see them after I refresh the database?

create somewhere (outside miktex) a folder "whateveryouwant-texmf"
with a small TDS substructure (e.g. a subfolder tex), then add
"whateveryouwant-texmf" as a new root in miktex settings. You can
then fill this texmf-tree with your files.

Attention if you have a multi user setup: starting with 2.8. such
roots can be set up also on a per-user basis and the maintenance
tools exist as "user" variant and as "admin" variant. So you will
have to test a bit to find out how to update the fndb of your new
root.

http://docs.miktex.org/2.8/relnotes/

--
Ulrike Fischer