[texhax] [tex-live] tl09 release status: coming up

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Wed Oct 7 10:04:17 CEST 2009

Dear Reinhard (copy all) --

Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

> A more convenient solution is to write a batch file.

Agreed, but (a) I don't like batch files (they replace
thought with action : rarely a good idea, IMHO !), and
(b) my point was rather that the present documentation
is inadequate, not to say seriously misleading, for
any na\i ve Windows user wishing to help with the testing
of TL 2009.  Once I can get to the point of being able
to test myself (I am still stuck at the point of "Access
is denied"), I will be more than happy to offer better
documentation which takes the needs of Windows' users
properly into account.

In the meantime, I have implemented a Windows' shortcut
which performs the Rsynching, taking advantage of the
fact that Windows' shortcuts support the concept of
a "Start-in" directory.  I have also added the "--progress"
qualifier so as to gain a better insight into what
exactly is happening.

** Phil.