[texhax] TeXBook Appendix E online anywhere?

Pierre MacKay pierre.mackay at comcast.net
Fri May 22 15:14:06 CEST 2009

Lars Madsen wrote:

>Peter Seibel wrote:
>

>>Is the TeX code in Appendix E of Knuth's TeXBook available online
>>anywhere. I want to play with the code he used to typeset the book and
>>would rather not have to type it all in by hand.
>>
>>My attempts at Googling it up didn't find anything.
>>
>>-Peter
>>

>the source for the texbook is usually included in most LaTeX dists, it
>is for looking at the code, compiling it is not allowed.

There is certainly a clear warning against printing out the TeXbook from
the file that has been included in TeX distributions since the
beginning.  But that is setting and printing the entire book---not quite
the same as extracting bits of the code from an appendix---and one would
have to knowingly modify the head of the TeXbook file to do so.  I am
not sure that the intentions are to prevent a something like a
drag-and-drop extraction of bits of DEK's TeX code.  Reuse of published
code is largely regarded as an honorable and sensible way to improve
programs. On an X-based display (from Open Office to Emacs, as an
example) extracts would not take very long, especially since much of it
would be irrelevant and unwanted.

Barbara?

Pierre MacKay