[texhax] GFS Porson polytonic keymap?

Pierre MacKay pierre.mackay at comcast.net
Thu May 7 18:27:53 CEST 2009

Yannis Haralambous wrote:

> Le 7 mai 09 à 03:21, Pierre MacKay a écrit :
>
>> A true Porson oughtn't to produce a tilde in any case.  The tilde is a
>> Didot form of
>> perispomene, and one of the distinguishing marks of Porson is the
>> simple
>> rounded
>> cap for perispomene (based on Porson's own handwriting.)
>

> True, *but* nevertheless there is a tilde in the original Monotype
> design of Porson (for me the only authentic Porson). As you can see
> on  the atatched screenshot, in the sixth box of the first row there
> is a  lovely eta with tilde (whose PostScript name is etatildealt).
> Of  course all combinations with breathings are missing, so we can
> consider as "an exception confirming the rule". Probably some
> important Monotype client asked for it, and so they added it to the
> glyph set.

The only excuse for that might be the use of the tilde for the
suspension of nu or mu, but I rather doubt that.

Monotype may be the only "authentic" Porson right now, but it does make
the break with Porson's odd combination of
upright uppercase with oblique lowercase.  (Probably a good idea, on the
whole.)  Why on earth anyone would want to do
Monotonic ALPHATONOS in a Porson font, I cannot imagine. Isn't Greek
Souvenir enough for everybody?

Pierre MacKay