[texhax] Adding packages to mactex (TeXshop)

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Thu Mar 26 15:49:24 CET 2009

On  26 Mar, 2009, at 05:45, Christine Largouët wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> I'am a nembye with mac os x and tex shop I find very easy to use.
>
> However I have a problem to insert a new package "floatfig" to define
> floating figures
>
> I make a new directory in /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/latex
> call "floatfig" and insert the floatfig.sty inside.

No, don't do that ---don't put anything inside /usr/local/texlive/
2008... Your local additions should go in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-
local/ (that is, for a LaTeX package, /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/
tex/latex), and you have to run in Terminal

sudo texhash

for (La)TeX to recognize your addition. Also, you can put it in

~/Library/texmf/tex/latex (~/Library means the Library directory of
your Home). You don't have to run texhash for anything you put here.

I don't know the floatfig package, but isn't it old? I would advise
you to subscribe to the TeX on Mac OS mailing list: