[texhax] Do not symlink when installing TeXLive 2008 on K/Ubuntu Intrepid or Debian systems

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Mar 1 22:43:03 CET 2009

On 28 February 2009 Andy Farnell wrote:

 > On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 16:16:05 -0500
 > Sean Sieger <sean.sieger at gmail.com> wrote:
 >
 > >  And do I export paths in both .profile and .bashrc?
 >
 > .profile is used when you log in, .bashrc is exectuted
 > if another bash shell is started. Usually both are run when
 > you login. Having paths redundantly added in both
 > will cause no harm. Having it only in .profile may
 > not work if you log in as someone else. Having it in
 > .bashrc would fail if you used a different shell.
 > So, simple answer, it doesn't hurt to use both, but
 > technically only one will suffice.

On my system ~/.profile executes ~/.bashrc.  This seems to be more
sensible than to duplicate things.  To achieve this, add a line

  source ~/.bashrc

or

  . ~/.bashrc

to your ~/.profile if it doesn't exist already.

Both variants are equivalent.  But you need "source" (or ".") because
otherwise all settings done in ~/.bashrc exist only while .bashrc is
running.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25