[texhax] problems with circumflex

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Sun Mar 1 12:18:54 CET 2009

At 02:53 01.03.09, Tim McKenzie wrote:
>On Saturday 28 February 2009 21:14:54 Benjamin Sambale wrote:
> > The problem is that the space between ^x and N is larger
> > than the space between N and ^x.
> > Another problem is that ^x in front of N lies lower than ^x after N.

BTW, I had overlooked this so far. This is a special point that fouridx
addresses.

>I've heard about a package called fouridx that might help you solve this
>problem, but I haven't tried it.

Very good! However, according to www.ctan.org/pkg/fouridx this just is made
to improve \sideset from amsmath, in the present case
$\sideset{^x}{}{\operatorname{N}}$ suffices. For comparison:
$\sideset{^x}{^x}{\operatorname{N}}$). $^x\mathrm{N}^x$ also has the
symmetry, but the superscripts are lower than with `N' as an operator. I
was about to suggest $^x\!\operatorname{N}^x$ which repairs horizontal
spacing, but the left superscript is lower than the right one ...

Cheers,

     Uwe.