[texhax] Using *.eps files with Latex

Robert Wilson millstadtf at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 06:41:50 CEST 2009

This is one of my least favorite things about LaTeX. If you're using pdftex
to compile, you can use (virtually) any image type (png, jpg, etc.) in your
documents, but NOT eps. If you use the latex command in concert with dvips
or dvi2pdf, you can use eps, but nothing else. I've never heard of anyone
offering a solution supporting both eps and jpg file types (someone please
prove me wrong!).

To answer your question, refer to sections 4.1 and 4.7.3 of the Not So Short
Introduction to LaTeX. You want
\usepackage[dvips]{graphicx} and must compile using latex, rather than
pdftex.

HTH,
Bob Wilson