[texhax] LaTeX user interfaces

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Jul 4 01:43:31 CEST 2009

Hi,
here is an excerpt fom a mail I received from the ctan-ann mailing
list:

Announcement text:
This version (0.8.9) introduces a new default way of loading
the package, using \usepackage{biblatex-chicago} instead of
\usepackage{biblatex}, an interface that should be simpler
for those who want the standard settings, and more flexible
for those who don't.  I've also added new entry types and
new package options, as well as fixing a number of bugs.
Please see the docs for all the details of these and other
changes.

How many user interfaces do we need?  Should every package provide its
own user interface?

Why can't things be done conveniently?

   \usepackage[style=chicago]{biblatex}

instead of

   \usepackage{biblatex-chicago}

Isn't the LaTeX way much more elegant and straightforward?  Doesn't it
offer *much* more flexibility?

LaTeX provides an excellent user interface already, no need to bother
people with arbitrary new inventions.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25