[texhax] Examples of books written using LaTeX/TeX and related tools

Niall Mansfield texhax at uit.co.uk
Fri Jul 3 19:19:25 CEST 2009

Folks occasionally ask about what sort of books can be produced using
(La)TeX.  We've recently published a couple of books using only LaTeX
and other free tools.  The first one is unusual because it's in
full-colour and
contains hundreds of photographs and other illustrations.

1. "Sustainable Energy - without the hot air" is full colour
   throughout.  It was produced in LaTeX, and most of the diagrams
   were done in MetaPost.  Some of the maps and other technical
   illustrations used more specialized tools, such as the gmt software
for maps.
   It was all free software.

   You can download the book free in its entirety, as a PDF (or even
   buy it as a normal hardcopy book :-).  There's a recent article about
   it on Slashdot, which gives the download link:

http://tech.slashdot.org/submission/1030811/Solving-the-Energy-Crisis-by-Tripling-Electricity

   If you don't want to look at the whole thing, some of the MetaPost
diagrams are at:
        http://uit.co.uk/files-a/sample-metapost-diagrams.pdf

2. "Alternative DNS Servers" is completely different.  It's a typical
   computer book.  Again, this was done 100% in LaTeX, with diagrams
   drawn with InkScape, which is of course free.

   Sample diagrams are at:
        http://uit.co.uk/files-a/inkscape-diagram-examples.pdf
   and samples of tables of contents, etc. are in the box on page:
        http://uit.co.uk/altdns

Both books utilized Make to control the build process.  Unfortunately,
each author used his own build system, so there's nothing we can
release (although we're working on a standard directory-tree and Make
setup that we'll release in due course -- any volunteers for testing? :-)

    Regards,
    Niall