[texhax] fatal errors with footnote italics for critical edition

Uwe Lueck uwe.lueck at web.de
Wed Jul 1 12:48:41 CEST 2009

<crebecca at uchicago.edu> schrieb am 01.07.2009 00:44:15:
> I'm wrong - it's not nested.  The double footnotes are set up to work like this.  I
> can add multiple B footnotes to \edt with no trouble: \edt{} {\A{}}{\B}}{\B{}}.

I still don't understand what ledmac internally does, but if you append additional footnotes behind \edt{...}{...} instead of putting them into the second argument, this could be the reason for problems with italics. The second argument is subject to \no at expands within a group, and \no at expands especially suppresses expansion of font switching commands. I think it would be worth trying the following:

1. Put all footnote commands into the second argument of \edt=\edtext

2. In your document preamble, place

    \renewcommand{\let\textit=0}

This extends \no at expands. If you get problems with \uline as well:

    \renewcommand{\let\textit=0\let\uline=0}

and so on when new problems appear. Or \let\I=0 if you really never use \textit.

HTH -- Uwe.