[texhax] answers.sty and multicol

Bruce Watson bruce2 at mun.ca
Wed Jan 28 19:01:41 CET 2009

I am trying to get Mike Piff's answers.sty working with multicol. The
snippet below the signature will illustrate the problem.

Basically, I can't make answers.sty hyphenate the exercise numbers. For
example, the answer number corresponding to exercise number 3-1 is
listed as 31; that is, it won't seem to print the hyphen.

The author of answers.sty is no longer at the email address in the
package. If anyone has a solution to this I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.  bruce2.

PS: Please note my new email address: bruce2 at mun.ca
Bruce Watson - Dept of Mathematics and Statistics
Memorial University, St. John's,NF, Canada A1C5S7
(709)737 8793    http://www.math.mun.ca/~bruce2

\documentclass[12pt]{book}
 \usepackage{amsfonts} \usepackage{amsmath} \usepackage{amssymb}
 \usepackage{multicol} \usepackage{enumerate}
 \usepackage{answers}

 \Newassociation{sol}{Solution}{ans}

 \begin{document}

 \pagenumbering{arabic}
 \setcounter{page}{1}
 \Opensolutionfile{ans}[anstest]

 \chapter{Introduction}

 The first chapter here

 \section{Exercises}
 \begin{enumerate}
 \item  First question here.

 \item Second question here.

 \item   Find the derivative of each function.
 \begin{multicols}{2}
 \begin{enumerate}[\theenumi-1]
 \item $f(x)= x5-4$
 \begin{sol}
 $\displaystyle 5x4$
 \end{sol}

 \item $f(x) = x4 \sin3 (x)$
 \item $f(x) = \frac{x2 +  4}{x2 - 20}$
 \begin{sol}
 $\displaystyle -\frac{48x}{(x2-20)2}$
 \end{sol}
 \item $f(x) = \frac{\sin x}{1 + \cos x}$
 \item $f(x) = \frac{\sin x}{1 + \cos x}$
 \item $f(x) =(1+x)3(1-x)2$

 \end{enumerate}
 \end{multicols}
 \end{enumerate}