[texhax] how to use lettergothic?

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Mon Feb 23 07:45:00 CET 2009

On  22 Feb, 2009, at 22:28, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

> First of all, let me explain the difference between a character and
> a glyph. [...]
>
> On 22 February 2009 D. R. Evans wrote:
>
>> Oh... I see; I shouldn't have used
>>  \font\rm=ugmr8r
>>
>> I should have used
>>  \font\rm=ugmr8t
>>
>> (although I don't understand what the "r" and "t" signify; but I
>> see that one produces the correct result [i.e., with spaces between
>> words], whereas the other doesn't).
>
> They are encoded differently. [...]
>
> For each subset of a particular font, there is a unique tfm file.
> How do post-processors know what to do?  Well, this information is
> in the .map files [...].

And that's where I looked for to find the ``proper'' (*.tfm) name for
the lettergothic font.

> Everything is brilliantly explained in the dvips manual.

Thank you for your thorough but concise explanation. I will read the
dvips manual with care (I guess you mean chapter 6 especially).

> [...]
>
> The only purpose of Karl Berry's naming scheme is to support old-
> fashioned operating systems.

Just one clarification, particularly for those not old enough to know
about it ---when Karl Berry proposed that scheme, those (now) old-
fashioned operating systems were the OS most people used (like MS-DOS,
with its `` 8.3 '' limit for naming).

Best,

Axel