[texhax] Latex for Linux ["netbooks"!]

John C Frain frainj at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 18:37:52 CET 2009

I installed TexLive 2007 from the TexLive DVD some time ago on an SD
card in an ASUS Eeepc 4G.  As far as I remember the only problem was
thah the  external DVD drive mounted in a directory that had white
spaces and the TeXLive install script failed.  When I umounted the
drive and and remounted to a directory with no space in the name the
install script ran perfectly and the TeX programs all worked.  I was
also able to install an old version of TexMaker from the ASUS
repository and get it working.  The ASUS screen was a little small for
the program.  Later versions of TeXmaker would not install.  Vim is on
the ASUS and I probably should have looked at using it.  Despite the
small screen the 4G is the very quick to access email and internet.  I
have also got a reasonable R system working on the 4G.

I have lately installed Ubuntu 8.10 on an SD card attached to the
EeePc 4G and have installed TeXLive 2008 (from the TeXLive DVD) on
that system.  It also appears to be working.  This is recreational
and, at the moment, I do not have the time to refine this system (get
wireless working  etc.)  If I had time the Ubuntu version is the more
attractive  despite a much slower boot.

Best Regards

John