[texhax] using lineno.sty with latex

Joao.Santos at ny.frb.org Joao.Santos at ny.frb.org
Wed Feb 4 21:42:39 CET 2009

Here is what was happening

I was doanloading the required files including lineno.sty from CTAN. When
I was doing that, by clicking on "download" this would open the file in
internet explorer. Then I would save it to my latex directory. This
process somehow changed the file and this was the source of the problem.

I found out that another way to get that package was through miktex. In
this case when you choose to download it yu can extract all of the
required files straight to your directory without opening them and thus
avoiding the problem mentioned above.

thanks for the help
joao

William Adams <will.adams at frycomm.com>
02/04/2009 02:11 PM

Uwe Lück <uwe.lueck at web.de>
cc
TeXhax <texhax at tug.org>, Joao.Santos at ny.frb.org, ""Stephan I. Böttcher""
<boettcher at physik.uni-kiel.de>
Subject
Re: [texhax] using lineno.sty with latex

On Feb 4, 2009, at 1:48 PM, Uwe Lück wrote:

> I expect \documentclass{minimal} would crash here since lineno.sty
> by default invokes \tiny to typeset line numbers, while \tiny is not
> defined under minimal.

I knew I should've taken a moment to either type ``(untested)'' or to
test it.

Okay, \documentclass{article} then.

But apparently one needs some additional bit of code to turn on line
numbering....

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{lineno}
\begin{document}

\linenumbers

Test.

Testing.

Testing 1, 2, 3

\end{document}

(tested)

If the above doesn't work for Joao, then there must be something wrong
in the copy of lineno.sty which is being used.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer