[texhax] Large Project

John C Frain frainj at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 18:26:36 CET 2009

Patrick

This sounds like a description of working with LaTeX on a PC  20 to 25
years ago.  Currently I work in Windows XP (32-bit) or Ubuntu
(64-bit).  When I am preparing a document I use the tex to dvi to
postscript to pdf rout.  I include my graphics in eps format.  At the
drafting stage I stop at the dvi stage.  I use specials to enable me
to move back and fore between the tes source and the dvi file.  tex to
dvi for a moderate sized document (< 100 pages) is almost
instantaneous.  My main source editor at the moment is Emacs although
I do use Kyle in Ubuntu and Texmaker and TeXniCenter in Windows and
still get the same throughput.  The production of the dvi file is
slowed on occasion is some new fonts have to be generated but this is
rare.  The dvi to ps step can take a few seconds and the ps to pdf is
not quite instantaneous.

Judging on my experience you might consider using the kind of process
that I use.  If it does not work then there is something wrong with
your computer or your setup.

Best Wishes for Christmas.

John