[texhax] Large Project

Schwartz, Steven J s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Dec 23 11:14:22 CET 2009

Patrick

Here are some ideas that may help:

1. Split your tex source into pieces in separate files. Then use
latex's \include and \includeonly commands to only typeset portions of
your document. Each piece will start in a new page but that may be ok
- and at the end when you're ready you can change thr \include to
\input to noon it all up

2 split into separate file pieces and \input them. For testing
segments comment out the \input s you don't want to see. This may give
some undefined references butaybe that doesn't matter

3.  Define a new command to temporarily skip segments of text eg
\newcommamd\skiptext[1]{} then take the text you want to skip and
surround it with braces ie

\skiptext{
...... text to skip
}

When you want to see it either remove this or

\renewcommand[1]\skiptext{#1}

Again cross-references will be unresolved. I use this often especially
when generating presentations using Beamer which can slow things down

4 do a one-time conversion of all your figs to PDF and use pdflatex
with the graphicx package. If you include the graphics without it's
suffix pdflatex will find the PDF versions so they can live in the
same directory. There are lots of ways to do this depending on your
operating system. I would use epstopdf if you start from eps files or
ps2pdf or pstopdf from ps files. Pdfcrop will trim off any White space
borders although epstopdf does a good job most of the time. Other
tools can do this operation. If all else fails write a tiny latex file
that will do it in the way you currently do ie using epsi or whatever
then trim the whitespace using pdfcrop or the trim options in the
\includegraphics[trim .....]{myfig} command. (note myfig and NOT
myfig.pdf)

HTH

Best
Wishes for the new year