[texhax] finding files

Anh Ky Huynh xkyanh at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 02:19:28 CET 2009

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 15:45:19 -0500
david allen <texjunky at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just switched from windows to linux (ubuntu) and have installed
> texlive 2009.
>
> I have a ~/texmf directory where I have put some bib and sty files.
>
> I have a directory ~/book that contains master.tex. master.tex has
> things like
> \include{chapter1} \include{chaper2} etc. Now, chapter1.tex resides
> in the directory ~/book/chapter1 along with perhaps included
> graphics files and related R programs.
>
> I would like to cd to book and have latex find the files in its
> subsidiary directories.
> I am not keen on moving book to be subsidiary to texmf because
> there is a lot of non-tex stuff there.

I think that you should use relative paths when including files:

If your document are in ~/book/chapter1/, you may use
	\include{../chapter2/foobar.tex}
	\includegraphics{../images/foobar.jpg}
	\include{../chapter2/section/foobar.tex}

You needn't to use TDS with your non-tex files.

> I am overwhelmed with the Kpathsea documentation and the FAQs
> weren't enough help either. Can someone give explicit direction on
> how to do this? I would greatly appreciate it.
>
> Sincerely,

Regards,

--
Anh Ky Huynh