[texhax] Migrating from Windows to Mac

Alan T Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Mon Dec 14 21:55:48 CET 2009

On 15/12/2009, at 9:31 AM, Tom Backer Johnsen wrote:

> Dear me.  Others have suggested that, but I had difficulties in
> believing that.  Why should one not want to use LaTeX?  I have made
> the assumption that when some Tex editor is downloaded (like
> TexShop), it would install Latex and use by default.  As a matter of
> course.  At least, that is the case for any of the Windows editors I
> have tried and used for several years, like WinEdt and
> TeXnicCenter.  Nevertheless it is obvious that you are right.
>
> But at least I have come one step further.  I have tried TextMate,
> ands at least that one lets me beyond the first line.  Evidently it
> does not install packages on the fly, but at least that is one less
> serious problem than I have had with TexShop and the like.
>
> Thanks for the assistance. Apart from having owned an Apple IIe in
> the early eighties, I am in my second week of learning how to use a
> Mac.  It is obvious that there is a lot to learn and unlearn.
>
> Tom

You need to check what you have defined in the applications'
preferences. TeXShop does tend to make use of PDFLaTeX by default, I
think. I have no idea about TextMate.

There are a range of options available to you, whatever is your choice
of operation. Those options are also available in WinEdt and
TeXNicCenter, but likely in different places.

In TeXShop choose TeXShop > Preferences. In there, click on the
Typesetting and Engine tabs to make certain you are using LaTeX and
that your path is correctly defined.

Alan

--
Alan T Litchfield