[texhax] ligature fi doesn't render - what to do?

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 16:12:38 CEST 2009

I have the MyriadPro font installed in a TexLive (MacTeX) 2009
(preview) installation.

My map file has entries such as this one:

wmrbi6t MyriadPro-BoldIt "ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc <wmrbi6t.tfm
<MyriadPro-BoldIt.pfb

The problem is that the "ff" and "fl" ligatures (and possibly more)
aren't rendered at all.  "fi" works, as does, of course, "f{}f". The
error message that I'm seeing is
pdfTeX warning: pdflatex (file /usr/local/texlive/2009/../texmf-local/
fonts/type1/adobe/myriad/MyriadPro-Bold.pfb): glyph `ff' undefined

Would it be possible to get the metrics (this is what is missing,
right?) for those ligatures?  If so, how?
Alternatively, can I tell TeX to render "ff" as "f{}f" in general,
rather than rendering empty space?

I don't know much about all this TeX font stuff, but I'm willing to
learn.  So, your help would be appreciated!

- David

http://www.david-reitter.com -- David Reitter