[texhax] Colorful LaTeX Terminal Output

Christopher Olah christopherolah.co at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 04:37:29 CEST 2009

Greetings All!

As many of you probably know, Unix-like operating systems allow output
to their terminals to change color (amongst other things) by escape
sequences beginning with the character . While there is some
variation between Unixes on how this is done, color is reasonably
consistent on most Unix-like OSes. For example,  would turn the
text orange while  would make it normal again.

It occurs to me that a LaTeX package that gives colorful output would
be nice. However, I can't figure out how to get LaTeX to print . I've
played around a little using \typeout and \message with \noexpand and
\special, to no success.

I was hoping other may have an idea... I'm also curious to hear what
others think of this idea.

Sincerely,

Christopher Olah