[texhax] \nobreaks shrinks following text

Rodolfo Medina rodolfo.medina at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 12:42:54 CEST 2009

Philip & Le Khanh <Philip-and-LeKhanh at Royal-Tunbridge-Wells.Org> writes:

> That seems perfectly reasonable to me.  By removing \nobreak, you
> are allowing TeX to break the page following
>
> 	Insieme aperto e chiuso.
>
> and TeX says "Fine, that looks like a good place to break the
> page to me" (in fact, "the best place"), and breaks there.
> Why does this behaviour puzzle you ?
>
> And if this is not the behaviour you are seeking, then perhaps
> you should described exactly what it is you are trying to achieve,
> because at the moment your code appears to do exactly what one
> would expect it to ...

Yes, I was not considering that \llap{\kern1em} in the definition of
\myparagraph added glue before the beginning of every \myparagraph, so the
presence of \nobreak just there would make TeX choose different page breakings.

I modified that definition eliminating \llap{\kern1em} and putting some \vskip
instead.  This way, the presence of \nobreak does not change TeX choice of
where to break the page.

I need \nobreak in order to use the pdftex \pdfdest command: without \nobreak
there are troubles.

Thanks for help
Rodolfo