[texhax] BurningTeXLive 2008 on DVD

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI eduardo at kalinowski.com.br
Tue Sep 23 18:21:46 CEST 2008

g_thaler at fastmail.fm escreveu:
> Dear Support Group,
>
> First of all let me thank you for all the time and work you are
> investing in the TeXLive project. TeXLive has become for me a very
> interesting and stable (La)TeX distribution not only for Linux but also
> for Win32 systems.
>
> But I think I have encountered a tiny bug in the description of
> obtaining the TeXLive iso file.
>
> At http://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire.html you write:
>
> " ...
> The image is compressed with lzma. The results are much superior to zip
> (or bzip2 or gzip), and for the file this size, it's worth it. If
> needed, get the sources for lzma utilities and/or the lzma binaries,
> including Windows, that we've compiled for TeX Live. From a command
> prompt, run lzmadec <texlive2008.iso.lzma >texlive2008.iso to decompress
> it.
> ..."
>
> Well, I'm not very experienced as Unix or Windows User, I just wanted to
> download and burn the ISO file on DVD on my Windows Vista PC. So I
> followed your instructions, but it did'nt work. There is no command
> lzmadec.
>
> - Perhaps you mean the program lzmadec.win32.exe. OK, at I have found So
> I have downloaded the file lzmadec.win32.exe and executed the command
> lzmadec.win32 texlive2008-20080822.iso.lzma texlive2008-20080822.iso and
> waited. But nothing happened. So I guess your description is incorrect
> once more

Note the < and > signs in the command line. It should be

lzmadec.win32 < texlive2008-20080822.iso.lzma > texlive2008-20080822.iso

***

On the other hand, I think that the average Windows user will have a lot
of trouble with that decompression, many wouldn't even know what command
prompt is or what it means to type a command line.

--
Eduardo M Kalinowski
eduardo at kalinowski.com.br