[texhax] sidecap + wrap

Tim Holy holy at wustl.edu
Tue Oct 28 10:52:00 CET 2008

Hi,

Well, I think I mostly have this figured out on my own. However, my solution
required that I write my own caption-generating macro, which looks like this:

\newcommand{\captiontext}[1]{\refstepcounter{figure}
{\captionfont {\captionlabelfont \figurename~\thefigure: }#1}
}

This works for figures, but is there a way to make a generic macro that works
for figures, tables, and any other floats? I've spent quite some time looking
through caption.sty for inspiration, but so far I can't get this to work
properly.

Best,
--Tim

On Thursday 16 October 2008, Tim Holy wrote:
> [...]
> FFFFF CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
> CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
> CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
>
> It turns out that this effect isn't too hard to achieve, but the way I've
> done it requires a lot of manual tweaking; I can't help but think that
> there must be a better way.
>
> Here's the really awful manual method:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{graphicx}
>
> \newcount\thisfigindentedlines
> \newlength{\thisfigurewidth}
> \newlength{\thiscaptionindent}
> \newlength{\thisremaininglength}
> \newlength{\captionsep}
> \setlength{\captionsep}{0.15in}
> \newlength{\extravspace}
> \setlength{\extravspace}{-0.25in}
>
> \newcommand{\setcaptionlengths}{
> \setlength{\thiscaptionindent}{\thisfigurewidth}
> \addtolength{\thiscaptionindent}{\captionsep}
> \setlength{\thisremaininglength}{\columnwidth}
> \addtolength{\thisremaininglength}{-\thiscaptionindent}
> }
>
> \begin{document}
>
> This is a test document to see if I can develop a version of
> side-captioning that wraps any extra text around the bottom of a figure.
>
> \def\thisfigureheight{1.25in}
> \setlength{\thisfigurewidth}{3.5in}
> \setcaptionlengths
> \begin{figure}
> \includegraphics[height=\thisfigureheight]{gull}\quad
> \includegraphics[height=\thisfigureheight]{tiger}
> \vspace{-\thisfigureheight}
> \vspace{\extravspace}
> \caption{
> \parshape=10 \thiscaptionindent \thisremaininglength \thiscaptionindent
> \thisremaininglength \thiscaptionindent \thisremaininglength
> \thiscaptionindent \thisremaininglength \thiscaptionindent
> \thisremaininglength \thiscaptionindent \thisremaininglength
> \thiscaptionindent \thisremaininglength \thiscaptionindent
> \thisremaininglength \thiscaptionindent \thisremaininglength 0pt
> \columnwidth ({\bf A}) A gull. This is a bird. It's a sea bird. You know,
> one that flies out over the ocean. I don't know much about gulls, so I
> don't know what more to say about them. {\bf B} A tiger. They're big. I
> hear they're friendly, at least when they don't intend to eat you.
> Certainly, they're really strong. They like water.
> }
> \end{figure}
>
> \end{document}
>

> Note the many ways that this solution could be improved:
> 1. I use the \parshape command with an explicit number of indented lines;
> but this seems silly, because I already have a variable that contains the
> height of the figure. It seems that I should be able to calculate the
> number of lines (from \thisfigureheight and \baselineskip) and then put
> this in a loop. But I'm not having any luck with a construct like this:
>
> \def\parshapecmd{}
> \loop\ifnum\thisfigindentedlines>1
>   \advance\thisfigindentedlines by -1
>   \def\parshapecmd{\parshapecmd \thiscaptionindent
\thisremaininglength}