[texhax] page breaking figures

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Thu Oct 23 20:55:02 CEST 2008

Hi folks,

I need to include 2.5 pages of text as a figure in a document.
Unfortunately, if I wrap it into a 'figure' environment, there won't
be page breaks, because 'figure' is a float and floats are designed
to be just that: non-breaking.

In general, I don't care about the text being in a 'figure'
environment, nor where it appears (I am happy to let it appear right
where I have it in the source), but what I do want/need are
a \caption and a \label with the same semantics as if I used them
within a 'figure' environment.

I looked across the Web and in the books I have, but without
success. Could anyone possibly let me know how to do either of

  - make figure floats break across multiple pages
  - simulate non-floating figures?

I found the nonfloat package, which promises to do the latter, but
it appears overly complex, and the examples use minipages, which
have the same problem: they won't break across pages, right?

Any clues?

if you find a spelling mistake in the above, you get to keep it.

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net