[texhax] nested macro and counter generation

Uwe Lueck uwe.lueck at web.de
Fri May 9 21:15:32 CEST 2008

Susan Dittmar <SDittmar at eureca.de> schrieb am 08.05.2008 13:42:03:

> for a LaTeX document I would like to define a macro \CREATE, which
> - takes some arguments itself
> - creates and accesses a counter with a name of the first argument
>   concatenated with some identifying letters (I need more than one such
>   counter)
> - creates a macro with a name equal to the first argument, where other
>   arguments of the \CREATE macro define specifics of this macro, and which
>   itself takes some arguments

This is from suggestions for the TeX Catalogue that I have made recent months:

- makecmds, suffix weiter dazu passend:
(a) twoopt, xargs, xoptarg
(Zahl möglicher optionaler Parameter)
(b) cmdstring, etoolbox, etexcmds, mathcmd,
patch, patchcmd, pdftexcmds, robustcommand, xnewcommand

I leave it to you to find whether something in the list solves your problem,
but it may be interesting to compare the packages. Most or all of them
are just in

    [tex-archive]/macros/latex/contrib/

Or better: I have discovered things like

    http://ctan.tug.org/pkg/makecmds

just recent days (maybe recent great work of the CTAN Team).
You can replace the `makecmds' there with other package names.
What I find great about this is that you needn't bookmark it,
because it is easy to memorize and to type.

I might easily make exactly what you want, but I urgently must tame my
addiction to volunteering ...

HTH -- Uwe.