[texhax] single caption for multiple graphics?

Matthew Leingang leingang at math.harvard.edu
Thu Mar 27 20:05:06 CET 2008

On Mar 27, 2008, at 1:27 PM, Yiqing Jin wrote:

> Hello, experts of TeX!
>
> I am sorry for the trouble, but I was hoping to obtain help on an
> troublesome
> issue: is it possible to create a single caption for several
> imported graphics?
> Currently I have to resort to merging multiple graphs into a single
> file for my
> reports, which is inconvenient and not elegant---I'd be very
> grateful if
> everything can be done in LaTeX alone. Thank you very much in advance!

Dear Yiqing,

Maybe one of the real experts will chime in after me but graphics and
figures don't need to be in one-one correspondence.

You can do:

\begin{figure}
\begin{minipage}{0.5\textwidth}
\includegraphics[graphic1]
\end{minipage}
\begin{minipage}{0.5\textwidth}
\includegraphics[graphic2]
\end{minipage}
\caption{Two great graphics in one figure}
\end{figure}

If you want more than this, like labels for the individual graphics,
look into the subfigure package.

Hope that helps.

--Matthew Leingang

--