[texhax] getting embedded vs paged pdf (eps/png)

Barbara Beeton bnb at ams.org
Mon Mar 10 19:59:34 CET 2008

a couple of comments -- see below ...

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008, George Georgalis wrote:

    Hi Steve,

    On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 02:00:24PM +0000, Steve Schwartz wrote:

    >I'll offer a simple solution, which is to use pdfcrop to crop the pdf.
    >Here's an example:
    >
    >\documentclass{article}
    >\pagestyle{empty}
    >\begin{document}
    >\[ E=mc^2\]
    >\end{document}
    >
    >pdflatex this, then run the result through pdfcrop. That will generate
    >the attached, which is what I interpret your posting to say you want.
    >You can then convert this to eps or png.
    >
    >Alternatively, latex the above file, dvips the result, then run the ps
    >file through eps2eps, which will generate an eps cropped to the equation
    >(result attached).

    pdfcrop does a nice job, with the example from my other
    followup post... but the method requires a file per
    image for capture.  Which might be worth developing an
    application around.

    It would make sense if the resulting cropped pdf image
    where included in latex docs, like with \includegraphics
    ...reasonable solution accept the requirement for users
    to externalize each formula in a file AND compile them
    with Makefile targets is a little daunting, when the
    expected solution is a latex template for "typeset" from
    within TexShop.

    ...oh wait, \pagestyle{empty} doesn't seem to work in
    \documentclass{amsart}

not true.

however, you have to use both \pagestyle{empty}
and, on the first page,
  \thispagestyle{empty}
since the headers are different on the first
page.  also, these need to be specified *after*
\begin{document}

    \documentclass{amsart}
    \usepackage{amssymb}
    %\usepackage{fancyhdr}
    %\pagestyle{fancy}
    %\fancyfoot{}
    \pagestyle{empty} % doesn't seem to remove page numbers in amsart
    \begin{document}

    \begin{centering}
    \ $\binom{n}{x_1\  x_2\ \ldots x_n} \prod_{i=1}^n p_i^{x_i}$\\
    \ $sum_{i=1}^n x_i = n s  0 < p_i < 1i ; \sum_{i=1}^n p_i = 1$\\
    \end{centering}

    \end{document}

    So, I cannot remove the page number *sigh*
    --- I'm back to a preview based solution and
    I welcome further ideas...

    // George

    --
    George Georgalis, information system scientist <IXOYE><

since you're using amsart, why not this:

  \begin{gather}
    \binom{n}{x_1\  x_2\ \ldots x_n} \prod_{i=1}^n p_i^{x_i}\\
    sum_{i=1}^n x_i = n s  0 < p_i < 1i ; \sum_{i=1}^n p_i = 1
  \end{gather}

then you don't even need centering.
							-- bb