[texhax] Information about LaTex

Robert Wilson millstadtf at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 23:42:45 CET 2008

If you wanted the Introduction to be numbered along with the "main matter"
i.e. the bulk of the book, you could use:

\chapter*{Introduction}
\addcontentsline{toc}{chapter}{Introduction}
Introduction text...

\chapter{First Chapter}

That way, the Introduction isn't numbered, but still shows up in the table
of contents. If you wanted to start the chapter number at 2 instead of 1
(like Introduction, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, ...) insert
\setcounter{chapter}{1} anywhere before the first un-starred \chapter{}. You
can, of course, do whatever you want with page numbers by using
\setcounter{page} and \pagenumbering{roman} or \pagenumbering{arabic}, but
you generally want to minimize using these types of commands in the interest
of separating content from formatting.

Regardless, it sounds like \setcounter{counter}{value}, \chapter*{}, and
\pagenumbering{style} will fix your problem.

Cheers,
Robert Wilson