[texhax] special hyphenation

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Fri Jun 20 16:15:21 CEST 2008

On  20 Jun, 2008, at 04:31, Natércia Fernandes wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to known if there is a way to "protect" the symbol
> hiphen in
> words that have it themselves. That is:
>
> In portuguese words having a hiphen are very common.
> When I write a LaTeX document in portuguese I type things like
> viram-nas
> empenharam-se.
>
> There are 2 different problems when these words have to be broken
> over two
> lines (hyphenated):
> 1. LaTeX always breaks them in the "-" they have, even if the
> result would be
> very different if such symbol was absent.
>
> 2. In portuguese the hyphenation is possible also at the place
> where the "-"
> is, but in this case the next line should begin with another hyphen
> (rule
> that LaTeX doesn't follow if I type the words simply as above).

See at http://www.ieeta.pt/~tos/TeX.html Tomás Oliveira e Silva's
bundle pt_language. If his instructions seem too complex, just put in
your preamble

\usepackage[portuges]{babel}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}%% or [latin1]
\makeatletter
\DeclareRobustCommand{\pt at hyphen}{\ifmmode_\else
   \nobreak\hskip\z at skip\discretionary{-}{-}{-}\nobreak\hskip\z at skip\fi}
\catcode`_=\active
\let_=\pt at hyphen
\makeatother

and type viram_nas, empenharam_se instead of viram-nas, empenharam-se.

Best,

Axel