[texhax] arabic tex

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Sat Jun 14 21:25:56 CEST 2008

At 05:40 10.06.08, mahi wrote:

>Thank u for reply, i am using miktex and i know the packages to be used in
>arabic tex, my problem is how can i insert arabic character in the .tex
>file?????

I seem to have misunderstood this before. To insert just a character
it would suffice to install an Arabic font (which MiKTeX will do for you!)
and some \DeclareFixedFont (I guess it will be so simple, no size changing)
-- see the LaTeX Companion or fntguide.dvi in miktex\doc\latex\base
(guessed, I don't have MiKTeX at my present place) for \DeclareFixedFont.
Say, \DeclareFixedFont{\arabfont}... To get the character then:
{\arabfont \char"XY} where XY is the hex code of the character.
To find it out, you can experiment, or look at the comprehensive list
of LaTeX symbols (symbols-A4.pdf or so, or ...dvi in the doc tree of
miktex?), or in the documentation of a package using the font ...
-- But it seems to be easer just to use some Arab package and
proceed along its lines.

This all has been "theory" I know of. I don't remember that I ever had
done something like this myself.

Uwe.