[texhax] font thickness

Steve Schwartz s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Sat Jun 7 18:33:11 CEST 2008

On Sat, 2008-06-07 at 06:42 +0000, K A Navas wrote:

> Sir,
> Please clarify my doubt. I am an author of tech books and a professor.
> The letters of the pdf output is very thin. Press people say that the
> plates for offset printing should change frequently if the thickness
> is not improved. This is very expensive.
> In spite of the command at preamble
> \fontencoding{0T1}\fontfamily{cmr}\fontseries{ebux}\fontshape{n} it
> does not work.
> Waiting for my reply

It is a common complaint by some that the cmr fonts are too thin. Rather
than try to thicken them, I'd suggest you use a different font.

Try removing all your fontenconding, etc. directives and simply add:

\usepackage{mathptmx}

to your preamble. That will use the mathplus times fonts instead. I
prefer them for precisely the reason that they are thicker. Or move away
from times/serif fonts to sans serif ones. See
http://dtrx.de/od/tex/sfmath.html for a discussion of the options.

There may also be differences depending on how you generate your pdf,
i.e., from dvipdf or directly from pdflatex, but I doubt it.

HTH

Steve

Professor Steven J Schwartz      Phone: +44-(0)20-7594-7660
Space and Atmospheric Physics    Fax:   +44-(0)20-7594-7772
The Blackett Laboratory          E-mail: s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Imperial College London          Office: Huxley 6M70
London SW7 2BW, U.K.             Web: http://www.sp.ph.ic.ac.uk/~sjs