[texhax] old script font

Pierre MacKay pierre.mackay at comcast.net
Tue Jan 22 02:18:20 CET 2008

I am afraid I was not able to come even close to an identification.

The first oddity about the font, even from the few characters visible on
the page
(B, and F which confirms my impressions of the B) is that they are
back-slanted.  This is not at all common with scripts, and I was not
able to find anything in the general
class---leaving out the grosser forms of advertising scripts---that had
this feature.

The left-hand loop is a a cousin to a swash, but it has nothing of the
enthusiam of a swash.  So far as I can make out, the designer imagined
the ductus as beginning at the top of the central stem, continuing down
to the baseline and then around to the left and up again across the top
of the stem, finishing with the two right loops, which end in a rise
into the stem, so the the whole is completed with no loose ends and an
almost dour flavor, quite unlike the flapping ends of swash strokes.  I
couldn't find any display italic that worked so hard to hide the ends of
the strokes.  It really is very distinctive.  I find it almost a bit
gloomy.

Rookledge has a font named Gando Ronde Script which includes an
uppercase D that comes somewhat close to your B, but Gando Ronde looks
happily frivolous in the rest of its characters; it is certainly not
back-slanted, and the B and F are nothing like.

The back slant is the thing to look for first.  There are going to be so
few of those.

The English text looks like vanilla Times, but from a rather careless
foundry.  It is
a bit closer to Monotype than to ITC.

Sorry I couldn't do better.  What and where was the Press?

Pierre MacKay