[texhax] Two questions for latex

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Thu Dec 4 17:05:14 CET 2008

Eugen Dedu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 1. What's the difference between \columnwidth and \linewidth?

\columnwidth is what it says, used in e.g. twocolumn mode and in the
multicols env.

\linewidth is the current line width

\linewidth has different value depending on where you are, e.g.

\begin{enumerate}
\item \linewidth here has a different value than
\end{enumerate}
here, where it will usually be equal to \textwidth

> 2. What does pdftex option do in \usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx} ?

latex and pdflatex can handle different formats, so the option tells
graphicx to handle a specific senario.

Though I would not recommend specifying a driver (like pdftex) to
graphicx, it can detect the right one by it self.

Though if you use dvipdfm(x) then you need to specify that driver to
graphicx.

--

/daleif