[texhax] Footnote on a section heading

Michael Barr barr at math.mcgill.ca
Thu Aug 21 23:19:18 CEST 2008

I am trying to put a footnote on a section heading without putting it into
the page header.  If I don't use \protect\footnote, I get an error (extra
} error) and if do \protect it, I get a strange result.  If the original
footnote number is 1, then the header has a superscript 2, followed by an
online 1, neither of which is wanted.  The section titles are separated
from the text, so it will not do to put the footnote after the heading.

I have tried a couple of different searches on CTAN with no results.