[texhax] Large fonts and superscripts.

Donald Arseneau asnd at triumf.ca
Thu Aug 7 21:08:30 CEST 2008

"Ludwig Mises" <ludwigmises at gmail.com> writes:

> Appendix G definitely looks like it might work.  I'm not quite the
> TeXnician at this point, so we'll see.  Maybe I can just make my own
> macro that creates an hbox that is raised up some proportional value.

or take the rare opportunity to use \valign :-)

> On that note, is it possible to change the scale of the font without
> changing the font?  For example,

%==============================
%
%  Rescale font from its current size.
%
\begingroup
\catcode`\A=12 \catcode`\T=12
\catcode`\@=11
\lowercase{% necessary because \fontname\font produces "at" in catcode 12.
\gdef\rescalefont{\edef\next{\noexpand\r at scalefont \fontname\font\space
AT $ AT \relax}\next}
\gdef\r at scalefont#1 AT #2 AT #3\relax#4{\ifx $#2% not scaled yet. Use mag
  \dimen@=1000sp \dimen@=#4\dimen@
  \font\temporaryfont #1 scaled \dimen@
\else % font "at" some size.  Change it
  \dimen@=#2 \dimen@=#4\dimen@
  \font\temporaryfont #1 at \dimen@
\fi \temporaryfont}
}
\endgroup

> I see that TeXbook used something like \tenpoint and \ninepoint to do
> this,

You should really copy \twelvepoint or some such and make a version
for fully selecting your large font size, including the math setup.

Donald Arseneau                          asnd at triumf.ca