[texhax] getting to a page

Steve Schwartz s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Sun Apr 27 14:00:23 CEST 2008

Tom,

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 17:04 -0400, Tom Schneider wrote:
> A program on my home
> computer, aw, watches the web and grabs the pdf for display on my
> screen.  (This is much faster than a remote xwindows display)  This
> works quite nicely except that I would like the pdf to come up on the
> page I'm working on in vim or at least to stay on the same page.  But
> Adobe Reader insists on starting on the first page and I can't
> identify any commands to control its start page.  Does anyone know how
> to do that?

I think Oleg is right that Adobe Reader won't do this automatically, but
both xpdf and the kpdf (kde pdfviewer in linux) will.

kpdf is the easiest, as it does the watching for you and will reload a
pdf file that has changed automatically - and to the same page and
magnification. It also remembers this information from one kpdf session
to another.

xpdf can be run in server mode and triggered to reload when a process
completes. Locally this is done by:

start xpdf by using

xpdf -remote key file.pdf &

then compile your document using

pdflatex file.tex && xpdf -remote key -reload

then xpdf automatic reloads (to the same page, location, magnification,
etc. -just like hitting an "r" key to xpdf which you might find nearly
as useful RTFM) whenever pdflatex is done. I would guess you could do
this as:

xpdf -remote key file.pdf &
aw ... && xpdf -remote key -reload

and then xpdf would reload your pdf whenever your aw process completed.

Does this help?

Steve

Professor Steven J Schwartz      Phone: +44-(0)20-7594-7660
Space and Atmospheric Physics    Fax:   +44-(0)20-7594-7772
The Blackett Laboratory          E-mail: s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Imperial College London          Office: Huxley 6M70
London SW7 2BW, U.K.             Web: http://www.sp.ph.ic.ac.uk/~sjs