[texhax] Q: how to generate PS font from MF input?

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Fri Apr 11 19:44:20 CEST 2008

On Apr 11, 2008, at 12:55 PM, D. R. Evans wrote:

> Now that I'm trying to render the output as PDF with pdftex. So I
> think
> that means that I have to have the font available as a Type 1 font.
> I've
> googled around, and it appears that metapost is the right program to
> use
> for this task, but I can't find any explanation of how exactly to
> use it to
> create a PS version of the font. Does anyone have a pointer to a
> detailed
> example of how to do this?

Metapost will allow you to make a vector outline of the font's glyphs,
it won't directly make a computer font. Metatype1 however, will do
what you want:

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/utilities/metatype1/

But you don't necessarily need to do this --- pdflatex will include a
Metafont as bitmaps, which can be made to be print-ready if need be w/
the appropriate tools.

William

--
William Adams